Anecdote- My Bus Driver Hates Me

Last year in the middle of February, there was a dance after school, but me and my friend decided to not go and we went to the mall instead. We planned to leave 20 minutes early to make it back to the school and catch the bus. Around this time of year, the temperature drops by a lot and the ground is so icy. My friend and I were walking down the slippery hill, when we both slipped and she spilled her drink on the ground, so we spent some time getting up and cleaning up her drink. The time was getting closer to when the buses leave, but we didn’t notice how fast we were running out of time because we were laughing so hard about what when we just fell. 

We looked ahead of us and I noticed the buses beginning to leave. “The buses are leaving we have to run!” I yelled to my friend, and she agreed. We sprinted as fast as we could but our bus was at the complete opposite side of where we were. Our bus driver saw us running towards the bus, but decided to leave us behind because we always disrupted her on the bus and were too loud. Realizing we have no ride home, we panicked and started calling our parents or anyone to come pick us up, but nobody was available. At this time, my friend and I had never taken public transit alone, so we didn’t even know the way home. On top of that, we live on the complete opposite side of the city so it would take even longer, and we had no money.

The office gave us directions for what trains and buses to take, but the weather outside was horrible. It was freezing, cloudy, and above that it was heavily snowing and all we were wearing were sneakers, leggings, and hoodies. We took the first bus to take us to downtown, but when we were there, we got so confused because of all the different routes and ended up taking the wrong train that took us the opposite direction of where we needed to go. The next bus we were supposed to take got delayed and would be coming in half an hour, while we were outside in the freezing cold.

Our only option was to wait inside a nearby building and the only one that allowed us in was a Roman Catholic school, and the guard had to stay with us the entire time, which was really awkward. The time came when the bus was supposed to arrive, so we caught the bus and didn’t know when or where to get off. Somehow, we managed to make it to the right place and made it to the train station we were meant to be at. To add on to the bad luck we were already having that night, the train also got delayed and we had to wait an extra half hour in the bad weather outside, and by this time it was around 8:30 pm and very dark outside. My friend and I managed to take the right bus, but again we got off on the wrong stop in a neighbourhood close to mine. By the time this happened, we thought we had frostbite and our faces were bright red, we couldn’t even move or control our fingers anymore. Also, my friend dropped her phone and it shattered and my phone died because of the cold. We took the next bus and ask the bus driver to just take us to my neighbourhood, and luckily for us that was where the bus was going next. There aren’t any bus stops near my house so we got off the closest one and had to walk another 20 minutes to my house.

2 comments on “Anecdote- My Bus Driver Hates MeAdd yours →

1. Celine!

The humor that you showed in your writing really interested me to continue reading, especially since what happened to you is one of my biggest fears aha. I felt that you conveyed your panic extremely well.

A suggestion would be for you to work on maybe spacing out your paragraphs a bit better, as it felt very blocky. I think that if you did that it would really help improve the flow of your writing!

I’m excited to continue reading your work 🙂

Fighting!
    Chloe

2. Dear Celine,

This piece was very funny, the comedy that you added was very effective and had me grinning the whole time. I am on your bus so I could definitely see you panicking like you did in this story.

Some advice is that you should shorten your sentences and add more variety to your sentence structure, the last paragraph felt kind of bland because of this. But, overall, great piece, and it was a very funny read.

From, Akaash